Beyond Rangoon: Myanmar and Laos


*** This blog has been migrated to Bharari.net ***
*** The article you are looking for can be found here ***


"Add life to years rather than adding years to life." - Baba Amte

So far, the year 2009 is shaping up to be the year of uncertainty for me. We are now into May and I've yet to find employment. My most promising lead has fizzled out after four interviews since February; the position was put on hold for now.

Having said that, the job market is improving. I suspect the recession is coming to an end. Most global stock indices have rallied over 20% since bottoming out in early March. Stock markets are leading indicators of the economy and they rally well before we get confirmation that the recession is indeed over. Similarly, the markets had started dropping well before we knew we were in a recession.

So, after over three months of looking for a job, do I still think that the risk of quitting my job and going travelling was worth it? The answer is a definite yes. There were some things I wanted to do while I'm still young and I consider myself fortunate to be able to do it. Things like solo backpacking in Southeast Asia, travelling in India, trekking in the Himalayas, and mountaineering. Since when is it wrong to set goals and getting them accomplished? I just happened to have some non-career related goals at the time.

Click here to continue reading this article.

No comments: